Thursday, May 22, 2014

A "TEAM" that plays "BEAUTIFUL" and "UNSELFISH" basketball




Shout out to the San Antonio Spurs!!! Shout out to NBA Hall of Famer, Earvin "Magic Johnson for giving the Spurs crazy love on their team play. Shout out to coach Popovich too!

Watching them play is like watching poetry in motion, and yes the way the Spurs play is beautiful. Very. The Spurs play the game of basketball the way it was meant to be be played - together and unselfish. The have the best coach, the best point guard and a true legend in his own time, Tim Duncan. Manu Ginobliiii adds to the mold big time. The big three. Players are moving, players are passing the ball, and the ball is not even touching the ground is an amazing thing to see. 


I'm thinking back on how I coached my team's to play "unselfish basketball." I didn't like seeing my team play so selfishly and dribbling in one play, so I stop, the practice and told my team to start playing "unselfish", so I told my team no they'll be no dribbling is allowed. 

The looks on the faces where like, "coach, o_O at me, but I told my team, "your're playing selfish basketball, and standing around in one place dribbling the ball, and everyone is standing around watching you "trying" to do And 1 moves." We need to play team ball! The first couple of times my team didn't do so well, they dribbled the ball, so I said, "go back and try it again, you can do it, just try not to space too far from each other." It worked and I was watching the ball being without touching the court not one time. I was simply amazed at what I saw. My God. 

Lots of times during our games you would see the ball just flying up and down the court. I'd be yelling, "look up look up!" What a beautiful sight to see, I'd be amazed during and after games. After one of our games, a 60 year old man asked me, "how old are those kids?" I jokingly asked him did he want to see their birth certificates? I also mentioned to him that I prepared my team early on. 

I caught the little mishaps early and we fixed them, so by the time the season started my team was ready to play basketball. Why not give your all to your team. Your team will give their all, "unselfishly" with "sacrifice" too.

I didn't know what I was doing when I told them this, it was something that just came out of "instincts."  Life instincts roll over to basketball insticts of "unselfishness!" It's about WE not I

Watching this every game was amazing and my team went on to win a championship. I'm glad my son left me with his "unselfish team play!"


Good team play, RIP Point guard Chavis

Some similarities here between the Spurs and Rens, you think? (Haha) 

Remember this about the "Renaissance Rens?" "To this day, I have never seen a team play better team basketball. ... The way they handled and passed the ball was just amazing to me then, and I believe it would be today." 

-- John Wooden

Who were they? Remembering The Rens

A SALUTE TO "TEAM BASKETBALL!" 





No comments:

Post a Comment